Palazzo ducale: history
History of Palazzo ducale: history at Genoa
In 1097, Bishop Arialdo founded the "Compagna Communis", a sort of republic led by Consuls or Captains of the People. They were elected by a Parliament comprising all citizens between 16 and 70 years of age; They were also obliged to equip themselves to eventually go to war. The former consuls formed a Consilium, which had a right of veto over the decisions of the consul in office; It was the Consilium that decided to go to war. The magistrates were independent as well as the officials of the financial administration. Before 1300, neither the consuls nor the parliament had a fixed edifice for their meetings. After the victories of Genoa against Pisa in 1284 and Venice in 1298, the city had the means to buy two palaces which it used to build a first communal palace. With the appointment in 1339 of the 1st Doge, Simone Boccanegra, the palace was transformed to become more prestigious; It was then the Ducal Palace. In the 16th century. Andrea Doria changed the political system by establishing a Major Council of 400 senators, a Minor Council, and a Doge who was elected for only two years. The Senate (Major Council) decided to completely restructure the palace and charged Andrea Ceresola (Il Vannone) to take care of it. After a great fire in 1777, the town entrusted to Simone Cantoni the restoration of the palace, some of which will be in neoclassical style. The important restoration of 1992 sought to highlight and preserve the three main stages of the building's construction.
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©