History of The lanterna at Genoa
A first tower was built in 1128, which served both as a lighthouse (lit fires) and as a watchtower from where the boats could be seen approaching. Subsequently, it was damaged by the struggles between Guelphs and Ghibellines and by the fighting against the French invaders. The current tower dates from 1543; The top of the lighthouse was surrounded by a thick and heavy glass furnished first by the Ligurian craftsmen and then by the Venetian craftsmen. These glasses often exploded due to wind, tower swings, lightning, attacks; It was necessary always to have a reserve of glass, and a family had to live there permanently. The lighthouse was constantly perfected: revolving optics and lenses of Fresnel in 1840, electricity in 1936. Between 1995 and 2004, the complex: lighthouse, fortifications, squares and urban park was restored and opened to the public, as well as the museum Of the lighthouse which presents its complete history, with objects of time.
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©