History of Palazzo reale at Genoa
The first phase of its construction took place between 1618 and 1620 on the initiative of Stefano and Gio Francesco Balbi, who had already started the construction of other palaces. The main phase of the building took place between 1643 and 1655 under the direction of Francesco Maria Balbi, with architects Pier Francesco Cantone and Michele Moncino. They continued the construction of the central body by renovating the ground floor, and making it create beautiful baroque frescoes. In 1677, the Balbi family sold the building to the Durazzo family, which enlarged the palace by incorporating a neighboring building (1685) and adding a floor (1694) to it. A new radical transformation in 1705 by the architect of the Ticino, Carlo Fontana: it modified the entrance gate, the atrium and the stairs, added an inner courtyard and a terrace garden overlooking Via Pre and incorporated the Falcone Theater Had been in operation for several years. This last transformation really gave a grandiose appearance to the building. In 1823 the palace was sold to the King of the Savoia House, which made it his principal residence in 1842. He then commissioned Michele Canzio to transform the halls of the Throne, the Audiences, and the Ball to make them more solemn.
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©