Town hall in the grand plaza
History of Town hall in the grand plaza at Brussels
It was built between 1401 and 1455; It is the only building that resisted the guns in 1695 and the building that is seen today is pretty much the original town hall. The Gothic-style part of the square was built in two stages: from 1401 to 1422, Jacques van Thienen, Jean Bornoy and G. Van der Broecke built the left wing and the base of the belfry. From 1444 to 1455, Willem de Voghel, architect of Brussels built the right wing and Jean van Ruysbroeck the upper part and the spire of the beautiful Gothic tower of 96 m high. The town hall is asymmetric: 12 arches to the left belfry included, 7 arches to the right belfry included. Numbers 7 and 12 often have a magical significance and often appear in alchemy; Is this the reason for this arrangement? The back part of the town hall was built by Corneille van Nerven after the destruction of the drapery hall by the French army in 1695; it is classical in style. The 150 statues that decorate the facade date from the 19th century and were placed during one of the restorations; they were added on the advice of Victor Hugo who lived on the Grande Place. The belfry is pierced at its base by a beautiful ogival door lined with statues representing four virtues: Prudence, Justice, Force, Temperance, with a tympanum bearing the statues of 5 saints. The square base continues with a narrower octagonal part, beautifully openwork and ends with a very light arrow surmounted by a statue of Saint Michael. This town hall is a marvel!
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©