Methodist central hall
History of Methodist central hall at Birmingham
Like the neighboring Victoria Law Courts, this beautiful three-storey building is built of brick and covered with terracotta decorations. It was built between 1903 and 1904 by Ewan and James Harper for Methodists. It is a dissident branch of Anglicanism, founded by George Whitefield and John Wesley , which emphasizes the pursuit of personal perfection and the need for social action. especially addressed the workers whom the industrial revolution had reduced to a deplorable condition. The building has a large room that can accommodate 2,000 people and many small rooms that were intended for various activities: concerts, comedies, movies, interspersed with hymns and prayers. The Great Hall was not built as a church hall, but as a theater, not to put off those who went there. The Methodist movement had also made a point of fighting alcoholism. But the Methodists had to sell the building for lack of means: it has deteriorated because no project of reconversion has succeeded. The ground floor is home to shops, the great hall has a night club, and the interior is in a deplorable state. You can still admire the beautiful facade, at least its upper part because the stores disfigure the building. There are large picture windows separated by tall columns prolonged by small pinnacles. At the ends of small turrets resembles towers built in India. The big tower is very tall and majestic. At the entrance a beautiful bas-relief terracotta describes an episode in the life of John Wesley.
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©