Saint chad's cathedral
History of Saint chad's cathedral at Birmingham
It is the first Catholic church built in England after the Reformation. It was built between 1831 and 1841 on the plans of Augustus Welby Pugin. Because of its brick construction, we do not notice that it is neo-Gothic, especially since the two arrows of the church are really not Gothic. However, there are well ogival arches, statues under canopies, trimmings. The architect was limited by the narrowness of the land near a steep slope: a previous church built at this location had already collapsed. He took as models German medieval churches, also in brick: those of München and Lübeck. The nave is very high and surmounted by a beautiful frame, supported by fine columns; the ceiling is nicely decorated. Although quite sober, the church has a pretty canopy above the altar, a pulpit and carved stalls, and pretty stained glass windows.
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©