St. martin in the bull ring
History of St. martin in the bull ring at Birmingham
The current Victorian Anglican Church was built on the site of an old 13th century church, mentioned in a 1260 text. The old church was destroyed in 1873 and rebuilt by architect Alfred Chatwin who has, however, kept the old tower with its arrow. This tower is of a distinctly Gothic style with pointed arches, recessed windows, a statue of a saint under a canopy, and jagged arrows. The church that looks very small next to the tower was built in the same style, with bricks similar to those of the tower. Both buildings seem to date from the same period. The church has an outer pulpit from which the preacher gave his sermon on the market side. In the chapel on the left, we see three monuments dedicated to the founders of the early church, the Bermingham family. They were recovered in the old church.
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©