Det kongelige bibliotek
History of Det kongelige bibliotek at Copenhagen
The royal library was founded in 1653 by King Frederick III; The King's collection and three other private collections were installed in 1673 in a building that now houses the national archives. The library became public in 1793. Today it is divided into two buildings: the first is a building created in 1906, which is a copy of the Charlemagne palace in Aachen. The second, which dates from 1999, is juxtaposed to the first: it is the "Black Diamond", of modern style, all in polished black marble and smoked glass. The library has nearly 5 million books and 6,000 manuscripts, but most books are scanned and can be viewed on computers. The "Black Diamond" has the shape of an inclined parallelepiped, covered with black marble and cut in half by a glass part: this forms an immense atrium of 8 floors very bright. The modern building, which contains 450 rooms and reading rooms, is connected to the old building by a corridor; In the latter, the reading room is of traditional style.
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©