History of Børsen at Copenhagen
The building was built on the orders of Christian IV between 1619 and 1640: this ambitious king wanted to make Copenhagen an important commercial city. It is a long building of 127 m topped by a very visible arrow, high of 56m: it has the shape of a propeller and is formed by the tails of 4 dragons. It was built by the Steenwinckel brothers, two Dutch architects, in the style of the Danish Renaissance with multiple gables and a beautiful copper roof. The building contained 40 commercial offices on the ground floor and a huge room on the first floor. In 1745, it was restored externally by Nicolai Eigtved, then internally in 1855. It served as market, then stock market until 1974; It currently houses the chamber of commerce.
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©