History of Colaba causeway at Mumbai (bombay)
At the end of the 19th century, the Bombay Fort area was overpopulated; moreover, the neighboring island of Colaba, the most southerly, had been declared in 1796 military cantonment zone, thus prohibited to any civil construction, and the hill of Malabar also neighbor began to be urbanized. The East India Company built between 1835 and 1838 a dike between the island of Colava and the mainland via the Isle of Women. Today, the beginning of this embankment on the Mumbai side has become an active commercial artery and houses the Culture Square: it contains many buildings of Old Bombay such as the National Gallery of Modern Art, the Regal Cinema, the Prince of Wales and Cusrow Baug (1934), home to 500 Parsi families. There are also many art galleries, multiple shops, book sellers and all kinds of items on trestles, restaurants, cafes, street vendors. Not to mention the neighboring Afghan church and the huge David Sassoon fishmonger.
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©