Concatedral of san nicolás de bari
History of Concatedral of san nicolás de bari at Alicante
It is one of the two seats of the Cathedral of the Diocese of Alicante-Orihuela, the second of which is the Catedral del Salvador de Orihuela . It was built between 1616 and 1662 on the remains of a mosque, in the renaissance style Herrera (named after the architect of the Escorial: Juan de Herrera), on the plans of Agustín Bernardino. It is accompanied by a Gothic cloister made in the 15th century. The facade is very simple; only its portal has a slightly baroque decoration and is surmounted by a dome. The interior is also sober and has few decorations; the interior of the dome is simply decorated with Roman-type boxes. Only the Capilla de la Comuni (18th century) is distinguished by its beautiful Spanish Baroque decoration, as well as the San Nicolás chapel (1676) in the center of the apse, designed by Juan de Villanueva . The church has chapels placed between buttresses and a bedside with an ambulatory and even a second ambulatory on the first floor. On the ground floor, you can see the statues of Santa Felicitas (15th century) and those of San Roque and San Francisco. There are, however, other works to see: the Retablo de las Animas ( Nicolás Borrás , 1574 ), the Cristo de la Buena Muerte ( Nicolás de Bussi , 17th century) and an Italian canopy of marble and jasper (1688).
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©