Monastery of santa faz
History of Monastery of santa faz at Alicante
This closing monastery of Poor Clares contains a relic that would be one of the folds of the fabric with which Veronica would have wiped the sweaty face of Christ on the way to Calvary. This shroud would have been given to Pedro Mena, parish priest of San Juan de Alicante in the 15th century. During his trip to Rome, the shroud would have saved Venice from the plague. The monastery, church and cloister, was built from 1557 to 1584. In 1936, during the civil war, communist militia attacked the monastery and seriously damaged it; but the shroud had been put in a safe place. The set was later rebuilt in the original style, after being used as an aircraft factory. The church is the result of transformations over time, and mainly during the Baroque period; the neobaroque altarpiece replaced the baroque altarpiece destroyed by the civil war: it is the work of Juan Vidal Ramos. The exterior is of a baroque very sober. Inside you can see the tombs of contemporary composer Óscar Esplá and artist Eusebio Sempere . The tower is the only building of origin: it is of tronco-pyramidal shape, has 3 floors, a terrace and a staircase of square form which continues by a circular staircase. It is defended by machicolations, loopholes and turrets of angles.
Editorial content Monument Tracker ©